The Abandon Wars

Saturday, July 22, 2006

The crusade continues! Quite a lot has happened since my last post but unfortunately not much of it was Space Crusade related :( (incidently I deleted my last post 'cause it looked icky(!)).

On the computer front I finally sent my monitor in to be repaired... little known to me the company I sent it to was going to liquidate the following day. Thus when I tried calling to find out where my monitor was, nobody answered the phone. I only found out they'd liquidated when I drove down to see what was going on and someone in the office next door mentioned it.

So I am now monitor'less until Philips' attorneys manage to retrieve it - not something I'm particularly happy about. Shit happens... so... here's a Chaos Marine!


Now assuming I eventually get my monitor back again I bought myself a brand spanking new NVidia Geforce 7600GT graphics card. Wicked! (This before I knew the mess things were in)

It handles pretty well for the price (oblivion shunts along at 20 frames a second in full detail - as opposed to the 3-4 frames a second I got on my old X300). All I've used it for is to play Far Cry though (well it's fun!). The fact that I've changed graphics cards is import because it has had an adverse effect on the crusade, but not for any reasons you might imagine... read on.



In the coding world I discovered a small little-bitty bug which has taken me a good fraction of the day to fix. In a nut shell skinned meshes didn't work and I though I'd written code to handle them years ago - that came as a bit of a surprise. This was complicated slightly by having installed a new graphics card - some of the DirectX capabilites I was assuming were there, were not. Specifically the GeForce 7 doesn't handle indexed skinned matricies whereas the X300 did...

The upshot of this is that I've had to install my old X300 again untill I've finished fixing and debugging. Later I'll have to write things to work on the GeForce 7 but I don't want to change too much at the moment. Moving along; here is a picture showing skinning failing to work in all its glory (it should look like a solid smooth shaded cylinder - it doesn't).



Luckily I have since fixed this but forgot to take a screenshot of it before I broke everything again. I was actually still working on the shape picking before I got side tracked into skinning. I've just started working on that again - it's very nearly finished now - but I don't feel like doing anything further this evening so I'm completing this post and then playing Far Cry - on the X300 'cause it too much effort to swap the 7600Gt in again ;)

Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home