The Abandon Wars

Sunday, June 17, 2007

It's been some time since my last post. Not because I've stopped work on Space Crusade; I just haven't had anything to show.

Unfortunately I still don't have anything to show. I am deep in a rewrite of my image library (which used to be a nice simple 32bit ARGB format). Now an image is a set of channels which can be fairly arbitrarily assigned.

Notably my new image format allows me to easily handle images which have the usual red, green and blue channels but also opacity, specular intensity and normals all packed into one together.

Wether or not this was necessary is probably a question best left unanswered; however it has been an interesting programming exercise. Particularly with regards to keeping the performance of the old naive 4 byte implementation ;)

Heres a screen shot of some of the core library tests - which I've also been putting quite a lot of work into. Massive testing has been required because this rewrite is affecting so many other sub-libraries.


I haven't seen the need for a unit testing framework yet so for the time being each test is just a function call. No complicated setup or tearing down is done (these really are unit tests) so it is unlikely one test will affect another but in the case where it does I don't mind it causing tests beneath it too fail.

On a more game related note: At the top I've posted that I'm continuing work on Space Crusade - which is true - however I am toying with the idea of another much simpler remake.

Too this end you will see a picture from StarControl 2 below. I do not in anyway intend to rewrite the single player game(!) but I am giving some thought to rewriting the Super Melee.


This rewrite will also give me a chance to do some ship modeling - which I've been itching to do for some time. The ships are generally simple and well within my modeling/texturing abilities.

Lastly (and I almost forgot to mention this) I have some musical tracks for Space Crusade now. They've been composed by Jaco Pretorious who will hopefully get a chance to do some more (hint hint) :)

Later!

3 Comments:

  • XNA! Do it in XNA! No fiddling with low level libs and stuff, just rapid gameplay development-and you can play it on Froggie's 360 if you get a dev account!
    Oh right-you like all that low level crap :p

    By Blogger Flint, at 9:26 am  

  • gah! and what about us space crusade fans over here? :)

    By Blogger Justin Paver, at 6:41 pm  

  • Yeah, yeah! It's all academic which remake I do as I'm still writing core libraries ;)

    'course I'm still doing space crusade though...

    By Blogger Andrew, at 10:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home