The Abandon Wars

Friday, January 11, 2008

Whoops, I went on a tangent and wrote a small Harrier Attack remake. What I was trying to prove is that Java is capable of high performance 2D games.


What I did prove (quite conclusively) is that it is not. The screenshots still look quite pretty though. In fact they should look quite familiar to anyone who's written, say, Chickens 3 :)



The problem is AWT seems to render very slowly (even when using hardware acceleration) and I really should be getting more than ten frames a second for this :(.

On the other hand my memory manager IS fast - I'm really quite impressed with myself *grin*.

Anyway I didn't actually mean to post this ;)

Later!

5 Comments:

  • Is AWT the best way to go? Surely there's a better API for that?

    By Blogger Flint, at 2:01 pm  

  • There are faster APIs (JOGL etc...) but I'm trying for an out of the box solution.

    Frozen cake time!

    By Blogger Andrew, at 5:27 pm  

  • Hey, nice to see you're actually getting work done - and thanks for the C3 reference :)

    Is the Harrier Attack thing playable yet? Got a link to it? God I loved that game!

    By Blogger Justin Paver, at 5:12 am  

  • It was briefly playable... ;)

    Diorgos doing the graphics now so they should look less programmery. Yay!

    By Blogger Andrew, at 10:16 pm  

  • 10 fps!! I've had decent enough performance doing animation with Java2D, although mostly businessy type things that are not so graphics intensive.

    Upload the source when you're done, it would be fun to poke at it and see if I can get it up to 11.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home